Whilst searching through a discarded notebook today, I came across some lyrics that I had wrote back in the summer. Usually I cringe a little when I come across forgotten words, generally because I've forgotten them for a good reason, however these lyrics stood out against the backdrop of others. Perhaps seemingly self indulgent and negative in subject matter, I can sense a wider philosphical and honest perspective on life coming through. As I find myself starting almost afresh in life once again, finding these words reminded me of how, like the world we live on, we all go through seasons. Ours are seasons of emotions, almost uncontrollable in nature and random in frequency yet completely inevitable. We all go through cycles of positivity and negativity and that is unavoidable. The best thing we can do is to prepare ourselves for these setbacks by practising to escape our emotions and see the honesty beneath them, so when we enter a 'bad' season we have a better chance of protecting ourselves. One line in Max Ehrmann's poem 'Desiderata' sums up my point better than this paragraph does, or indeed I ever could - "Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass." Our 'good' and 'bad' seasons, like the seasons of world we live on, are inevitable, and even though they may change, if we look at the world in this way we shall awlays remain, whatever the weather.
Claw
A horrorscope predicted
That today I'd open up and let you in
But instead I opened up
And you just stared inside
I don't blame you for not knowing
What to do with what you saw
A demon and a child
A dragon without a claw
You see I'm made up of many creatures
All fighting to survive
You know it's a constant battle
Happening inside
Perhaps you could be my hero
Cut off the dragons head
Rescue all the villagers
Put the child into bed.
But I suspect you're just another
Monster to comprehend
A way for me to learn that life
Is always just a means to an end.
No comments:
Post a Comment